[Samba] Group Policy Issues

lingpanda101 lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 13:13:27 UTC 2017

On 12/8/2017 9:39 PM, Anantha Raghava via samba wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> When we had two servers in the pool, we were pushing GPO using rsync
> from PDC at every 30 minutes. However when we added the two more
> domain controllers, our rsync script turned to be a pull from PDC
> every 30 minutes. Would this have made those policy objects inconsistent?
>
> We have set up sysvol replication using rsync unidirectional that is a
> push from pdc.*******.com to dc1.*******.com every 30 minutes. However
> on the dc2.*******.com and dc3.********.com the cronjob executes on
> dc2.*******.com and dc3.*********.com every 30 minutes and pulls the
> contents of sysvol. cron job is working properly on all servers.
>
> Surprising part is, in a specific network the client PCs fail to read
> and apply GPO. Whereas in other network, we find it is working
> properly. Command "gpresult /r" on client shows Group Policy applied
> from "pdc.******.com" whereas the logon sever remains either dc1 or
> dc2 or dc3 or pdc. The same pdc.********.com throws error in a
> specific network. This makes us think whether it is a network issue.
> One more important observation is if we stop samba-ad-dc on either dc2
> or dc3 (two more domain controllers) even the specific network segment
> that is giving problem also works properly. This gives makes us to
> suspect the "GPO Pull" is making GPO inconsistent with PDC. Probably
> we have to push the GPO to all additional domain controllers from
> pdc.*********.com using rsync?
>
> In fact, we have even tested, "software push" to clients using GPO,
> startup scripts etc., and every thing was working properly till
> inclusion of dc2 and dc3.
>
> Your suggestions are welcome.

Anatha,

     You shouldn't be pushing the sysvol replication but rather pulling
them from for your DC you have chosen to make all GPO changes. from. Did
you follow the wiki here?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Rsync_based_SysVol_replication_workaround

I would also reduce your replication time to 5 minutes as per the wiki.

You are also using terms such as PDC and DC it appears interchangeably.
I'm assuming you have a pure DC environment and not a PDC.

James