[Samba] Friendly Reminder: Would you please comment on my findings?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Aug 19 08:53:47 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-08-18 at 23:57 +0200, awl1 wrote:
> Ah, ok, "directory handle leases"... Ouch, I see... :-(
>
> In this case, I will first repeat my test scenario with a Windows SMB2
> server and report back here.
>
> Based on the results of this exercise, you can then advise whether you
> still want to move this to smb-technical and raise this with Microsoft
> folks (who still might have a simple workaround "fix" to improve their
> SMB2 client performance with a Samba server that does not [yet]
> implement directory handle leases), or whether the only way to fix this
> (on the long run, I am perfectly aware that this is a hugely complex
> task) will be implementing those infamous "directory handle leases" in
> Samba... ;-)

I think it is time this thread moved to samba-technical, with those
findings and a good summary.  Not all developers follow this list
closely, and this is clearly becoming a development question.

> Many thanks so far for the progress we made today - I'll call it a day
> for today now (close to midnight over here), and get back once I have
> the Wireshark recordings of the Windows SMB2 share server...

I know you really wish 'we' could take this over from here, the
challenge is that the things you hope we could do are the most time-
consuming bits, which is why this has been getting awkward.

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett