[Samba] Friendly Reminder: Would you please comment on my findings?

awl1 awl1 at mnet-online.de
Fri Aug 18 18:40:30 UTC 2017

Hi again, Jeremy, and
hi to all commercial customers of Samba supporting companies on this
list, ;-)

Am 18.08.2017 um 20:18 schrieb Jeremy Allison:
> What I mean is what you're asking is interesting, and I might get time
> to look at this, but I can't give any guarentees. Work priorities and
> any security issues always have to come first. If people *need* a
> guaranteed response time there are companies findable via the Samba
> web site who will provide this for a fee. To be blunt: "Give me a time
> when this will be done ?" equates to "Pay me money to fix this."
as I am an individual not backed by any company (using Samba on my
private home office NAS, and my employer is completely unrelated to
issues with my personal NAS) the only thing that I could possibly offer
is a limited individual donation to the Samba team.

Also, I don't even have any particular deadline requirements, it's
simply that everybody (including me) is trying to move away from SMB1
now for mainly security, but also a lot of other reasons, and when
trying to do so, I immediately ran into what seems to be a huge
performance regression issue - which notably is not even an issue in
Samba itself, but rather in Microsoft's SMB2/3 client -, so I am really
wondering why this does not seem to affect/get into the way of anybody
else except me - such as other people/companies on this list with a
Samba service contract...!? ;-)

Most probably, many end users are so used to bad performance when it
comes to Microsoft software that they don't even realize that copying a
huge number of small files to/from a Samba share through Gigabit
Ethernet must be possible with speeds above 10kB per second!? :-(

So maybe there is anybody out there with a support contract who has also
noticed that copying a huge number of small files onto or from a Samba
share has slowed down considerably when movig from SMB1 to SMB2/3 by
upgrading their Samba server from 3.x to 4.x?
Otherwise, please advise whether an individual donation to the Samba
project might be helpful...

Thanks & best regards
Andreas