[Samba] Friendly Reminder: Would you please comment on my findings?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Aug 18 18:18:22 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 08:09:00PM +0200, awl1 wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Am 18.08.2017 um 19:56 schrieb Jeremy Allison:
> >Andreas, you're a nice guy and all but I feel you didn't
> >read the part of my message about the "best-effort" status of this list.
>
> so do you mean that your "best efforts" are simply not sufficient to
> look into this at all (i.e. never ever)? My way of reading your
> statement was that your "best effort basis" meant that it might just
> take some more time, maybe much more.
>
> I also would like to point out that I don't think that looking into
> this is a service only to me, but looking into this interesting
> issue and addressing this with Microsoft would be a valuable service
> to every user of SMB2/3 with a Microsoft client and Samba server.
>
> So maybe if it's not going to be you in person, is there *anybody
> else* from the Samba team who is able to adopt this and take a look
> into this on his/her best efforts' basis any time (more or less)
> soon?

What I mean is what you're asking is interesting, and I
might get time to look at this, but I can't give any
guarentees. Work priorities and any security issues always
have to come first.

If people *need* a guaranteed response time there are
companies findable via the Samba web site who will
provide this for a fee.

To be blunt: "Give me a time when this will be done ?"
equates to "Pay me money to fix this."

If you think about the above you will understand why
this is not an unreasonable request for Samba supporting
companies.

Note that this doesn't apply to me, as Google (my employer)
isn't in the business of providing generic Samba support
so I'm not asking for your money, and couldn't take any
if you did offer it :-).