[Samba] Blank printers names while browsing remote printers

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Aug 10 13:57:53 UTC 2017

Hai Olivier,

Looks to me its a small problem, but lets start here.

First, can you post your:

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
cat /etc/resolv.conf
cat /etc/hosts

dpkg --get-selections | egrep "samba|winbind|libnss|pam|avahi|dbus"
(some people may see libnss(-mdns)/avahi/dbus not needed, yes, thats correct, but i use this for my airprint solution.)

Last, check this for upgraded to 4.6
run testparm for you id mapping checks.  ( MEMBER : testparm , DC : samba-tool testparm )
See the also :  'IDENTITY MAPPING CONSIDERATIONS' section in the smb.conf manpage.
The one easy missed here is this part,
With 4.6, it will be possible to optionally use the primary group as set in the "Unix Attributes" tab for the local unix token of a domainuser.
Before 4.6, the Windows primary group was always chosen as primary group for the local unix token.

To activate the unix primary group, set
idmap config <DOMAIN> : unix_primary_group = yes

Similarly, set
idmap config <DOMAIN> : unix_nss_info = yes

to retrieve the home directory and login shell from the "Unix Attributes" of the user. This supersedes the "winbind nss info" parameter with a per-domain configuration option.

4.5.x =>  4.6.0 : smb.conf changes
https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.6.0.html
  Parameter Name                Description             Default
  kerberos encryption types     New                     all
  inherit owner                 New option
  fruit:resource                Spelling correction
  lsa over netlogon             New (deprecated)        no
  rpc server port               New                     0

Greetz,

Louis