[Samba] Domain DFS on new share

Jonathan Hunter jmhunter1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 09:46:50 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 21 April 2017 at 06:46, Mueller <mueller at tropenklinik.de> wrote:
> Since  past the beta-times of samba 4  (and it worked in former times!!) it never worked like this: \\yourdomain\share or \\yourdomain \dfs-share.
> The only thing working along witch your domain is: \\yourdomain\netlogon.
>
> I had another thread open on this case some times ago.

Thank you Daniel - at least I am not going crazy and it did work in the past :)

\\mydomain\sysvol does work, as well as \\mydomain\netlogon. But,
there is some issue with any \\mydomain\newshare.

I am not even sure that this is purely DFS related, as such, now. Just
to check things, I added the following share definition to all my DCs
(i.e. a simple share, without "msdfs root = yes"), and I can't access
this share either, via \\mydomain\notdfs - albeit I get a different
error from this.

[notdfs]
        path = /usr/local/samba/dfsroot

>From Windows Explorer (Windows 7 VM, domain member):
\\mydomain\notdfs --> "\\mydomain\notdfs is not accessible. You might
not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions."

>From cmd.exe on the same Windows 7 VM:
C:\>net use * \\mydomain\notdfs
Drive Y: is now connected to \\mydomain\notdfs.
(Very weird! Y: does work, I can see an empty folder with no issues
(presumably the msdfs symlink in there is ignored by default). Still
no luck from Windows Explorer even if I try \\mydomain\notdfs again)

When I try the same for my DFS share, though, still no luck, even with
"net use" :
C:\>net use * \\mydomain\dfs
System error 67 has occurred.
The network name cannot be found.

I have also shared some packet captures with Jeremy; perhaps he might
spot something simple that's going on.

--
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called
research, would it?"