[Samba] Good Bye SAMBA?!?!?

Klaus Hartnegg hartnegg at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Sep 28 22:41:37 UTC 2016

On 28.09.2016 at 01:31 Gilberto Nunes wrote:
> I am working harding for weeks to make things work properly to implement
> samba and glusterfs and ZFS , to deploy storage sincronization between two
> servers.
> Today I just install Windows 2012 R2 and play around with DFS  and see how
> so deadly simple!!!!
> And I wonder: why Linux or samba or both do not have similar tools to make
> things less painful....

This comment was clearly not a rant that samba has no GUI, as some have
written here. It is a complaint that important functionality is either
missing or does not work, and requires tedious workarounds.

This misunderstanding confirms my suspicion that most samba admins have
no idea how easy and enormously useful DFS and DFS-R are (and that many
may not want to keep using Samba it they would know).

On Windows servers I provide ALL shares via domain-based DFS, and
replicate all directories with DFS-R to a second server. This is all
very easy to setup and works just great. If one server was down, it
quickly catches up, fully automatic, and without recursing through all
directories. I can switch the users to the replica server just by
running a small script that adjusts DFS priorities. This is wonderful,
because it allows me to upgrade servers when I want, not when it fits
the users, because there is no downtime.

But unfortunately some servers here are running Samba.

Tell a Windows admin that Samba is still unable to replicate its own
Sysvol directory, and they will laugh at you. The docs say that
domain-based DFS works for some. What does that mean? Does it work or
does it not work? And which docs should I read? Samba still hosts docs
that are so outdated that they cause more confusion than they provide
help. How many years did it take to fix that tiny backup script to
always use tdbbackup? Is it really correct now? Does it still need to be
pulled from the source tarball? For Windows 10 I need to go back to
protocol version 1, which Microsoft is about to disable by default.
Whoa?!! For AD I must manually give all users a numerical ID? And the
tab where this must be done is now going away! Are you joking? This
means that things are getting worse instead of better. I must even
seriously doubt the future of the whole project when it keeps depending
on things that Microsoft has deprecated long ago and is about to expire.
I had hoped that samba would eventually catch up a bit, but it rather
feels like the distance to Microsoft is growing.

Sure, Samba does also have advantages, but it costs me way too much
time. I need something that just works out of the box, and is not
severly limited to the most basic functionality. Windows server
eventually also needs scripts for things that should be included (like
for example to tell whether DFS-R is currently in sync or not), but the
level where this requirement starts is higher. And it is much easier to
find the right commands and required options, because there is much
better documentation.

sorry to disappoint you
Klaus