[Samba] named ( bind 9.9.4 ) fails to start

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 27 09:20:14 UTC 2016

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 08:53:24 +0100
"Maton, Brett" <matonb at ltresources.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Rowland thanks for your response.
>
> I'm running samba 4.5.0rc1 on CentOS 7.2
>
> I've dumped the DNS records, and it doesn't appear to have any SRV or
> NS records.
>
> Also the SOA record is pointing at the wrong server dc03 instead of
> dc01.
>
> I'm pretty sure it can be fixed, but I don't know how or what to do

OK, try restarting Samba, then Bind again.
If that doesn't work, try rebooting

If that doesn't work, back up your install and try this:

Note: do not try anything below without good backups, if your AD goes
badly wrong (it shouldn't), don't blame me.

samba-tool dns add 127.0.0.1 mydomain.com @ A <dc01 ipaddress>

samba-tool dns add 127.0.0.1 mydomain.com @ NS dc01.mydomain.com

Check your SOA record again

If that works, you might want to try this:

samba-tool dns delete 127.0.0.1 mydomain.com @ A <dc03 ipaddress>

samba-tool dns delete 127.0.0.1 mydomain.com @ NS dc03.mydomain.com

Once everything is working, you might want to think about updating
Samba, 4.5.0 has now been released

Rowland