[Samba] Ubumtu 1n.04 - no network machines visible

Adrian Godfrey lists at ags.lu
Sun Sep 18 09:55:53 UTC 2016

Since  upgrading  to  Ubuuntu  16.04  LTS from 14.04 LTS, I cannot see
either  my  Windows  PC  or  any  of  three  Linux-based NAS in either
"Network" or "Windows Network". Both windows have no icons.

After  the upgrade, I did apt-get update and apt-get install samba and
apt-get install winbind

My   Windows   7   Ultimate  PC can see the Linux PC and the three NAS
without problem. It can even read and write to the shared directory on
the Ubuntu 16.04 PC.

Ping  to  all  four  devices works. Everything has a static IP address
192.168.1.xxx. All the connections are wired.
All have the same workgroup name.

I even added all the IP addresses to /etc/hosts and /etc/lmhosts

Thanks in advance for any pointers as to where to look next

Adrian