[Samba] Failed to issue the StartTLS instruction - yet ldap ssl = no is set

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 14 14:43:43 UTC 2016

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 15:17:24 +0100
lejeczek via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I think I luck of words, all I have is another - really?
>
> On 14/09/16 14:04, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > And using them, sets them to NULL!
> > Which probably explains why dbwrap_watchers.tdb does get created.
>
> Well, two instances would be a solution, workaround to
> another problem I ran into, more difficult to overcome. But
> that is not the issue to which I seek help here.
> All directory directives are set and point to the same
> location, directories are created, permissions, SELinux,
> etc, are not a problem.
> Shame on developers to assume users/admin are dumb bums,
> especially that the scenario is so easy to reproduce. A bit
> more faith in users I'd prescribe.
> Take these directives out - and everything is working,
> including LDAP authentication which seems to fail when
> dbwrap_watchers.tdb is absent(or has directly to do with
> aforementioned directives)

I will say this again but first this time, as you seemed to miss it
last time:

Why are you trying to run two instances of Samba on the same
machine ????

Having got that out of the way, how are you trying to run Samba ? as a
DC ? or as something else ?

You posted:

 it has something to do with:
   ;root directory =
   ;lock directory =
   ;state directory =
   ;cache directory =

The ';' turns off the lines and the defaults will be used, but if you
remove the ';', then all those directory will be set to NONE, i.e. they
will not be used.

Rowland