[Samba] web admin ui for samba AD

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Sep 10 04:53:08 UTC 2016

On Sat, 2016-09-10 at 04:41 +0300, Ioan Eugen Stan via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking about starting a web tool for managing an Samba Active
> Directory - manage users, machines, etc. Managing Samba AD is my
> motivation so far. The idea is to build more or less a web version of
> "samba-tool". This is just an idea and so far I am exploring the
> implications.
>
> I have a strong background in Java / JavaScript. I can code in other
> languages but I am not as proficient.
>

> 1. Where should I start?
>
> 2. Is there an API for doing the administrative work or do I have to
> implement each operation myself?

While I see below you are against Python, but for others I would
mention that we have an extensive Python API, this is what samba-tool
is written against.

> 3. Asuming I will be using Java, how can I call samba-tool actions?

Connect to the LDAP server and use LDAP operations.

> 4. Besides Java, what tools can I use to do CRUD on Users, Computers
> in
> Samba AD ? Examples would be very usefull.
>
> Note: I went over the wiki and there is not a lot of documentation. I
> saw something about a python API but I'm not familiar with python and
> it's not something I wish to use.

Finally, have you checked that LDAP Account Manager (LAM) doesn't do
what you want?

Andrew Bartlett