[Samba] Segmentation fault in samba_upgradedns - Samba 4.4.5

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 8 00:58:18 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-09-02 at 13:19 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> I have now found out why you had to provision with samba43,
> the '--use-ntvfs' option is gone from Samba 4.4.x. I never noticed
> because, as I said, I never used it.
> This does of course mean that you cannot use the latest versions of
> Samba as an AD DC with freebsd unless somehow either samba-tool or
> freebsd is changed.

BTW, just to be clear for those on the list:

--use-ntvfs is gone by default, because we don't build it by default.
To re-enable it if you have a really important use case you use --with-
ntvfs-fileserver at configure time.

The main reason for that is so that when a security hole is found in
the NTVFS file server (as all C code is prone to), that we don't have
to make the NAS vendors and major linux distros upgrade their packages,
as the code won't be in their binaries.

(However we would really like to know if that is really needed, as the
code will probably go away at some point).

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
https://samba.org/~abartlet/