[Samba] Segmentation fault in samba_upgradedns - Samba 4.4.5

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 2 13:51:12 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 13:49:50 +0100
Cameron Murdoch via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 2 September 2016 at 13:19, Rowland Penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org
> > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2 Sep 2016 13:03:05 +0100
> > Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > > This may be a way forward, see here:
> > >
> > > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/s3fs
> > >
> > > It talks about moving from s3fs to ntvfs, but is should also be
> > > possible to go the other way, I will try it and let you know.
> > >
> > > Rowland
> > >

> > I have now found out why you had to provision with samba43,
> > the '--use-ntvfs' option is gone from Samba 4.4.x. I never noticed
> > because, as I said, I never used it.
> > This does of course mean that you cannot use the latest versions of
> > Samba as an AD DC with freebsd unless somehow either samba-tool or
> > freebsd is changed.
> >
> > Rowland
> >

> Once the classicupgrade had completed using samba43, (with
> --use-ntvfs) and both the  first DC and a second were working and
> authenticating clients, etc I upgraded them both to samba44.
> Everything seems to work, although I have issues with dynamic dns
> updates, and a couple of other small things. I think that switching
> to bind might help with some of this.

It probably will, I have always used Bind9 and never had any problems.

> To confirm, I now have two AD DCs running samba44 on zfs and they
> mostly seems to work. I can us ADUC, and other windows tools, clients
> authenticate correctly, and I have a Samba44 member server that is
> serving files correctly and with zfs nfsv4 acls all working.
> Thanks

As I said, I know very little about freebsd, but you should be aware
that Samba only supports the last three major versions i.e. at the
moment 4.2.X, 4.3.x and 4.4.x
They are supported in three ways, the oldest version (now 4.2.x) only
gets security fixes, the middle version (4.3.x) gets bug and
security fixes, just not all that the current release (4.4.x) does.

Minor releases are approx every six weeks and major approx every six
months. The next major release is scheduled for this month, at which
point 4.2.x will go EOL, 4.3.x will move to security fixes only and
4.4.x will move to Maintenance mode. It is explained here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Release_Planning

What this means is, approx 6 months from now, to set up an AD DC
on freebsd, you will have to install an EOL version and then upgrade
to a supported version.

Rowland