[Samba] No increased throughput with SMB Multichannel and two NICs

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Sep 7 08:14:13 UTC 2016

Hai Daniel,

Did you think about partitioning and block sizes and alignments of the partition which is very important also.

For example, i use better partition sized to match the use of the files
Like :
ISO files on a 4MB block sized partition.
MP3 files go on a 1MB block sized partition.
Normal offices documents on a 4kb blocksize sized partition.

The effect if this ( and i tested this )
I can read/write with 110MiB/s ( full 1Gb speed )
I get that when i copy from/to linux/windows with iso files on optimzed partition.

The same file on a 1Mb blocksized, does about the same 90-105 MiB/s
The same file on a 4Kb blocksized, does about the same 80-90 MiB/s
These partitions are on a soft raid 1 setup, 5.4RPM HDD's.
The disk have a max of about 160-180Mb/s
The os is on a SSD.
Tested with samba 4.4.5 with as simple setup (stand alone server)

Checking if the partition is aligned with blocksize helps also a lot.
So before you continue changing things in samba, i suggest you the most important thing first.

Check you partition alignments on linux and windows.
A good reference for linux
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Partition_Alignment

and a handy free windows tool to check.
https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/align-partition.html