[Samba] Fwd: Ubuntu, ping host by its NetBios name (Samba from sources) !

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Sun Sep 4 09:55:43 UTC 2016

that should work fine, if ..
dnsdomain and search domain are set correct on the clients and on the server in smb.conf

dns proxy = yes
wins server = yes

ping a netbios aliasname probly wont work.

greetz,

Louis

Begin doorgestuurd bericht:

Van: Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
Datum: 3 september 2016 23:28:21 CEST
Aan: samba at lists.samba.org <samba at lists.samba.org>
Onderwerp: Antw.: [Samba] Ubuntu, ping host by its NetBios name (Samba from sources) !
Antwoord aan: Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org>

On Sat, 3 Sep 2016 23:09:05 +0300
"CpServiceSPb . via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

I have built from sources Samba4 4.4.4 version operation at Ubuntu
14.04 x64.
There are three daemons are started: nmbd, smbd, winbindd.

I excluded 'dns' from /etc/nsswitch.conf, 'host' line and added
'wins' . When I try ping some of Lan host by NetBios, I get ping:
unknown host xxxxxx.

So, how is to make possible to ping host at Ubuntu 14.04 by NetBios
name which can be resolved by broadcast and if this type of resolving
doesn' t do resolution, then switch to Samba4 wins ?

I don't think what you are trying to do will work and I also don't
think you need to do it. You are trying to ping by the machines netbios
name using wins, the machine netbios name is also the machines
hostname, so by replacing 'wins' with 'dns' the ping will work, so why
bother?

Rowland