[Samba] Winbind / Samba auth problem after username change

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 6 09:36:40 UTC 2016

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 09:15:09 +0000
Julian Zielke via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Mathias,
>
> thanks for your advice on how to use getent. However you’re
> mentioning SSSD which is working fine. I was referring to it because
> we changed to that method lately but the server having the problem is
> NOT using this new method but the old winbind+samba combination.
>
> Sorry it it was confusing.
>
> Cheers,
> Julian

If you are using a fairly recent version of sssd, you are using a
version of a Samba winbind lib, so just changing to sssd shouldn't give
problems.

First and foremost, all your users & groups are stored in AD as windows
users & groups i.e. they have a SID-RID
So if you change a login name, it shouldn't affect anything else, so
when I asked how you changed the login name, perhaps I should have
asked, what did you change ?

Rowland