[Samba] DNS Problem with 2 Domain Controllers

Zane Zakraisek doublezane at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 21:35:26 UTC 2016

Hi!
We've got two domain controllers (DC1, DC2) running 4.5.0.
We had to perform maintenance on DC1, so we took it offline, thinking
nothing of it.
The clients (Debian 7 running winbindd, some 4.4, others 4.5), were not
able to resolve names or groups anymore...

Starting winbindd in debug mode on one of the clients, I could see that it
was indeed talking to DC2, but was not able to perform user/group lookups.

The resolv.conf files on all the machines have DC1 first, then DC2.
I simply removed DC1 from resolv.conf, restarted winbindd, and everything
worked great.
I then put DC1 back at the top of resolv.conf, and users/groups did not
resolve anymore.

Is this a bug in winbindd on the client side, a bug on the server side, or
simply a bug in the local DNS resolvers?

ZZ