[Samba] Bidirectional wiki page correction suggestion

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Sun Oct 23 16:50:42 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-23 10:36, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 09:40:36 -0500
> Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>> I just setup replication of sysvol between my two DC's using the
>> "Bidirectional Rsync/osync based SysVol replication workaround" and
>> all went well with two exception. 
>> First, it seems that since an upgrade to Openssh version 7.0 that
>> "dsa" key use is disabled by default by the Openssh team. There has
>> been some questions for some time now regarding the security of "dsa"
>> keys and the new default is to use "rsa" keys. (Not opening a
>> "dsa"/"rsa" key debate here, Openssh team did what they did. An
>> Internet search found other distros noting the same dsa/rsa issue.) 
>> Simply changing the "dsa" throughout the directions to "rsa" solved
>> any problems I was having and all went well. 
>> Perhaps the wiki pages, both "Bidirectional Rsync/osync based SysVol
>> replication workaround" and "Bidirectional Rsync/unison based SysVol
>> replication workaround" should be adjusted to reflect the "new" "rsa"
>> key default. 
>> Second, the "root" in the 'crontab -e' string suggestion is not needed
>> (on Ubuntu 16.04 in my case) as user is setting up a crontab process
>> within the "root" crontab. No reason to call the user at all (again,
>> in my case with Ubuntu 16.04.) (Other distros might be different.) 
>> This is only a suggestion. 
>> Thank you.
> OK, I have changed 'dsa' to 'rsa' on both pages.
> I haven't changed the crontab contents, the 'Osync' page is based on
> the 'Unison' page and this is based on information supplied by Louis Van
> Belle. I think Louis needs to explain why 'root' is in root's crontab,
> there may be a reason.
> Rowland

I suggested the "root" issue but agree with your decision. 

In my case, the 'root' made crontab abort and I got a system email
saying "it" (the system) could not find root. Simply removing the "root"
allowed the cron string to run without complaints. 

My 2 cents. Thanks.


Bob Wooden of Donelson Trophy

More information about the samba mailing list