[Samba] NS records for a new AD DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 18 10:30:44 UTC 2016

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 10:39:46 +0100
Chris Hastie via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I have just joined a second DC to my Samba based AD, with Bind9_DLZ
> providing the DNS on DC2 (samba internal on DC1). I notice that the
> AD zone has not acquired an NS entry pointing to DC2. I presume that
> ideally such an entry should exist?
>
> I have tried to add something, but I cannot work out how to use
> samba-tool to add an RR for the root of a zone. If I miss the name
> argument out, or if I use and '@', it complains and reminds me of the
> correct usage.
>
> # samba-tool dns add dc1 ad.mydomain.com @ NS dc2.ad.mydomain.com
> -UAdministrator
> <A|AAAA|PTR|CNAME|NS|MX|SRV|TXT> <data>
>
> If an NS record should exist, how best should I add it?
>
> Chris

Yes it should exist and it should be added for you when Samba is
started (on later versions) by samba_dnsupdate.

Perhaps you should check this:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Verifying_and_Creating_a_DC_DNS_Record

The samba-tool format is this:

samba-tool dns add dc1 ad.mydomain.com dc2 A <ip of dc2> -Uadministrator

samba-tool dns add dc1 ad.mydomain.com @ NS dc2.ad.mydomain.com -UAdministrator

samba-tool dns add dc1 _msdcs.ad.mydomain.com @ NS dc2.ad.mydomain.com
-UAdministrator

Rowland