[Samba] Joining a Samba DC to Existing AD question

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Mon Oct 10 19:54:58 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-10 14:29, Marc Muehlfeld via samba wrote:

> Hello Bob,
>
> Am 10.10.2016 um 20:59 schrieb Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba:
>
>> Last week I joined a second DC to my first and all seemed to go well.
>> (Turned it off until I had more time.)
>>
>> This last weekend I moved fsmo roles to the second and demoted the first
>> DC per Samba Wiki instructions. At the time did not know anything about
>> protecting (lack of a better choice of words) any Samba databases. So
>> far, everything seems to be working okay. I'll check log files better
>> this evening.
>>
>> Not having done anything with the "databases", is there some specific
>> problem I should be looking for?
>
> Did you run Samba as a Domain Member, PDC, DC, or standalone server on
> the host before you installed the DC? If not, there are no leftovers to
> clean up.
>
> Anyway, there shouldn't be a problem if there is something left over
> from a previous installation. The databases are recreated. Cleaning up
> old stuff is more for not getting confused later. For example, if you
> find some day database files, Samba does not use - because they are from
> a previous installation.
>
> I updated the text in the Wiki to mention the reason.
>
> Regards,
> Marc

The demoted DC was a 4.2.14 Sernet-samba setup running as an Active
Directory Domain Controller for a member server and three Windows
clients. The new ADDC is an Ubuntu 16.04LTS running repo Samba now
version 4.3.11 with Bind9_DLZ. Folder redirection is still working.
Profiles are saving to the member server. I have not checked GPO, yet
but will soon.

Like I said, so far I have not seen any issues.