[Samba] Joining a Samba DC to Existing AD question

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Mon Oct 10 19:29:34 UTC 2016

Hello Bob,

Am 10.10.2016 um 20:59 schrieb Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba:
> Last week I joined a second DC to my first and all seemed to go well.
> (Turned it off until I had more time.)
>
> This last weekend I moved fsmo roles to the second and demoted the first
> DC per Samba Wiki instructions. At the time did not know anything about
> protecting (lack of a better choice of words) any Samba databases. So
> far, everything seems to be working okay. I'll check log files better
> this evening.
>
> Not having done anything with the "databases", is there some specific
> problem I should be looking for?

Did you run Samba as a Domain Member, PDC, DC, or standalone server on
the host before you installed the DC? If not, there are no leftovers to
clean up.

Anyway, there shouldn't be a problem if there is something left over
from a previous installation. The databases are recreated. Cleaning up
old stuff is more for not getting confused later. For example, if you
find some day database files, Samba does not use - because they are from
a previous installation.

I updated the text in the Wiki to mention the reason.

Regards,
Marc