[Samba] using samba with sssd

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Thu Oct 6 14:14:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, 6 Oct 2016, Andreas Matthus via samba wrote:

> it ist possible using samba with authenfication over sssd?

You need to clarify what usage of samba you are referring to.

Samba active directory domain controller...yes.  AD is LDAP-based, so it
will work with anything that uses LDAP.  Also if you have a semi-recent
version of sssd (1.10+), it has a module specifically for AD:

https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/Configuring_sssd_with_ad_server

Samba NT4 PDC...probably not.  NT4 domains are too nonstandard, Samba is
basically the only thing that supports it.  Samba NT4 PDCs do support
external LDAP servers, but I doubt you can have more than one directory as
a backend.

Samba file server (smbd)...probably not.  It effectively supports Windows
authentication or it's own internal authentication.  You might be able to
set up a samba NT4 PDC using an external LDAP server as an intermediary
between smbd.  However, like above, I'm not sure if there would be any way
to merge multiple LDAP servers.