[Samba] Simple Samba server for "at home" - what do I need and what not?

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Wed Oct 5 20:05:32 UTC 2016

Marc Haber via samba schreef op 05-10-2016 9:22:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 08:33:30PM +0100, Rowland Penny via samba
> wrote:
>> OK, then follow Sven's advice, install debian and then follow just
>> about any standalone server howto, any problems or questions, just
>> ask.
>
> That's what I'm going to do. Thanks for the advice!

I think it is still the case that all you need is a bit of simple
smb.conf editing. It uses your regular system users. Samba permissions
are different from filesystem permissions. Posix ACLs have more
abilities (I think you can use them over samba as well?) on the
filesystem such as auto propagation of ownership rights which can be
nice to have. You can basically ensure that all files ever created will
have the same ownership and permissions unless Samba messes it up ;-),
purely by way of a disk configuration (attributes of the containing
folder).

The tool for that is setfacl and getfacl, which you may both know.

There is nothing more to it than that. At least I can't think of any. On
a Debian system you don't run the risk of your configuration constantly
being overwritten ;-).

Regards.