[Samba] Simple Samba server for "at home" - what do I need and what not?

Sven Schwedas sven.schwedas at tao.at
Mon Oct 3 13:14:39 UTC 2016

> But I would like to have different accounts with different access
> rights so that the multimedia machines do not get access to my
> financial documents.
>
> In this environment, which samba features do I need? Which ones do I
> disable? Which ones are helpful but not really necessary? Is there
> documentation that describes this simple use-case?

Since you really don't need AD, you can use any applicable Samba 3
how-to for configuration (and Jessie's Samba build, no need for your
own), nothing changed significantly for basic operations. Set up
system-wide accounts and use either the (in)valid users= config option
in your share definitions and/or POSIX ACLs for permissions.

Sven Schwedas, Systemadministrator
Mail/XMPP sven.schwedas at tao.at | Skype sven.schwedas
TAO Digital | Lendplatz 45 | A8020 Graz
https://www.tao-digital.at | Tel +43 680 301 7167