[Samba] Is it possible to change the domain name?

Sketch smblist at rednsx.org
Wed Oct 5 13:40:28 UTC 2016

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, ali via samba wrote:

> Is there a better way to rename the Samba4 domain name provisioned once
> with active directory role without losing the objects and GPOs?

Apparently 2008 R2 supports renaming domains.  You could join a 2008 R2
DC, sync everything up, move your FSMO roles over, shut down your Samba
DCs, rename the domain on the remaining Windows DC, then rejoin your Samba
DCs as new DCs, move your FSMO roles back, and shut down your Windows DC.

I'm curious what would happen if you did an ldbedit and did a
search/replace on the entire ldap database and changed every reference of
the old domain to the new one.  Then restart the DC, and all member
servers/workstations and see what happens.

Obviously, someone should test that in a lab first... it may well blow up.
It's entirely possible the ldbedit would just fail, as it can be picky
about changing certain things if they would conflict or cause errors...I'm
not sure if it's possible to edit _everything_ in one go, even with
--relax --cross-ncs.