[Samba] Copy a directory from macOS to Samba fails

Leander Schäfer info at netocean.de
Wed Oct 5 13:28:17 UTC 2016

Hi,

unfortunately copying a directory from macOS to a Samba share fails, if
the macOS set ACLs in the source directory. The error on macOS side
basically informs the user, that the operation can’t be completed
because you don’t have permission to access some of the items.
Unfortunately macOS automatically sets these ACLs sometimes. Relevant
lines in my configuration file:

cat /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf
[global]
   [...]
   unix extensions = No
   vfs objects = acl_xattr, streams_xattr, full_audit
   [...]

[homes]
   [...]

Solutions I've already attempted are:
- Connecting through CIFS rather then SMB
- Changing the permissions on said files to read/write by everyone
None of these attempts have managed to solve the problem I'm experiencing.

Using the xattr command I could see that the file had the
com.apple.TextEncoding attribute. I used the xattr -d command to delete
the attribute and I was then able to copy the file with the Finder.

I was in the opinion that "vfs objects = acl_xattr" should take care of
it. But why does it not?

Best regards,
Leander Schäfer