[Samba] ldb-tools stand alone different than built-in?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Oct 3 08:24:57 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 15:52:50 -0700
Greg Zartman via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I'm working with the Centos 7 packages for Samba 4.2.10 and I note
> that the stock packages don't include the ldb tools (eg, ldbmodify,
> ldbsearch, etc).
>
> I did find a stand along centos package that contains these tools from
> here:  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LDB
>
> However, the stand along tools don't seem to be aware of the Active
> Directory schema.   For example, if I try to use these tools to add an
> attribute to the Active Directory schema using :
> --option="dsdb:schema update allowed"=true'
>
> The stand alone tools say they don't know that this --options input
> means.
>
> Is there a difference syntax for these stand alone tools?

No, as there are no stand alone tools.

There is just one code base and the various distro packages are built
from this. it may be that the ldb-tools package you have found is meant
for a different version of Samba than the one you have installed.

The last time I looked, Centos didn't have packages from which you
could create an AD domain, is this the reason you don't have ldb-tools
that works with active directory ?

Rowland