[Samba] Recommended DNS configuration on Domain Controllers causes share by IP name to fail

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Nov 30 13:32:08 UTC 2016

Your correct, the wiki is wrong.

Preconditions
This line should be changed.
Verify that the host name in /etc/resolv.conf resolves to the network IP and not to 127.0.0.1 (localhost).

To :
Verify that the host name in /etc/hosts resolves to the network IP and not to 127.0.0.1 (localhost).
And
127.0.0.1     localhost localhost.localdomain
10.99.0.2     DC2.samdom.example.com     DC2

DNS Resolving. Is correct, the name server is pointing to the first DC.

And i would suggest,
before the Verify the DNS Entries.
Add a "Reboot the server, wait a few min, depending on the samba AD DB size."

Now proceed with the dns checks and database replications.

I dont know it this are all fixed in the comming 4.5.2, but in lots of cases, the the DNS resolving doesnt work, the needed records are not created at startup of samba. But after a reboot this works most of the time.

And this part.
DNS Configuration on Domain Controllers.
If you are running more than two DCs, you can configure the IPs in crosswise direction.
Add: but only after you joined the server, rebooted at least 1-2 times and you checked the dns entries and ad database replication.

Greetz,

Louis