[Samba] backup_samba4 script failing

Bob of Donelson Trophy bob at donelsontrophy.net
Wed Nov 23 13:17:37 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-23 06:55, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 13:47:37 +0100
> "L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> Ah, now I see the the core of this problem.
>>
>> This is the main problem.
>>
>> You smbd -b output
>>
>> Paths:
>> SBINDIR: /usr/local/samba/sbin
>> BINDIR: /usr/local/samba/bin
>> CONFIGFILE: /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf             <<<<<<<<<<
>> LOGFILEBASE: /usr/local/samba/var
>> LMHOSTSFILE: /usr/local/samba/etc/lmhosts
>> LIBDIR: /usr/local/samba/lib
>> MODULESDIR: /usr/local/samba/lib
>> SHLIBEXT: so
>> LOCKDIR: /usr/local/samba/var/lock
>>
>> And below in the email your telling that you config is in /etc/samba
>>
>> Due to this mismatch, the script is failing.
>
> I suppose the question is, does Samba know that smb.conf isn't where it
> thinks it is ?
> Are the Samba binaries being started with the -s option ?
>
> Rowland

I need to look into this. I could be wrong but I thought I had setup a
symlink between /etc/samba/smb.conf to /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf.

I will review my notes to confirm what I did.

I know that smb.conf IS located at /usr/local/samba/etc/ but, I also
know that I can access it via /etc/samba/smb.conf to make adjustments.

Hum-m-m-m . . .