[Samba] 4.5.0 as AD, missing replication links

lingpanda101 lingpanda101 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 16:33:32 UTC 2016

On 11/18/2016 11:24 AM, mathias dufresne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you have some link to explain what are the difference between new
> and old KCC?
>
> Is it the old one do not respect "NTDS Settings" links in "Active
> Directory Sites and Services" console and force replication between
> every DC?
>
> If yes new KCC would rely on what is defined into each server's "NTDS
> Settings", is it?

> <samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>>:
>
>     On 11/18/2016 10:52 AM, mathias dufresne via samba wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         I'm missing some replication links between some DCs in "Active
>         Directory
>         Sites and Services" management console. This MSC provides
>         tools to create
>         manually these links or I expect it is able to do, I did not
>         tried as I'm
>         not yet sure enough of what I would have to do exactly.
>
>         For now all present links are named (rough translation)
>         "automatically
>         generated".
>
>         Does Samba provides some tools to recreate these missing links?
>
>     Sorry Mathias didn't see your version in the subject. You are
>     using the new KCC. If you want a full mesh you can disable it in
>     your smb.conf
>
>     kccsrv:samba_kcc=false
>

>     --
>     - James
>

>     --

This is from the release notes of 4.5.0.

KCC improvements for sparse network replication

The Samba KCC will now be the default knowledge consistency checker in
Samba AD. Instead of using full mesh replication between every DC, the
KCC will set up connections to optimize replication latency and cost
(using site links to calculate the routes). This change should allow
larger domains to function significantly better in terms of replication
traffic and the time spent performing DRS replication.

The new KCC sets up a bridgehead server at each site that handles the
replication links. Through my extensive testing it appears to work as
intended.  I did have a few duplicate links I had to delete, but other
then that it works.

The new KCC will auto create those NTDS settings. This of course assumes
you setup sites correctly using Active Directory Sites and Services.

--
- James