[Samba] DC server own hostname must be part of ad dc domain?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Nov 18 12:09:09 UTC 2016

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 15:41:49 +0400
Mike Lykov via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> 18.11.2016 15:22, Rowland Penny via samba пишет:
>
> >> root at ad51:~# hostname -f
> >> ad51.samges.ru
> >> Must I have an $SERV.$ADDOMAIN hostname, like ad51.dc.samges.ru ?
> > Yes
> >
> >> If I change hostname now, what will happen in AD domain ?
> >
> > Your machine will not be found.
>
> But it can be found via DNS, why changing local (for this server)
> hostname affects this?
> How to fix it right?

There could be a language problem here, if your machine is called
'dc1.example.com' and you search on another machine for it via short
hostname or fqdn, then it will be found, but if you change it
in /etc/hosts to 'dc2.example.com', then a dns search will not find it.
If you change its name in etc/hosts, you will need to change every
occurrence in AD as well, and for a DC, there are a lot.

> >> Are autogenerated string written bu provision script? Are it
> >> needed? (provision was 4.1.9 version)
> > No, is DHCP putting it there ?? if your machine is using dhcp to
> > get its ip
>
> No, it'a a DC server and it never use a DHCP.

OK

> > Yes, you can remove them and in fact, you should remove them, they
> > shouldn't be in in /etc/hosts
>
> Ok, I'll try this
> But wiki for example
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory)
> suggest to add hostname to /etc/hosts:
>
> "Verify that the host name in /etc/resolv.conf resolves to the
> network IP and not to 127.0.0.1 (localhost)."

You shouldn't be using a GUID as a hostname, from what you posted, the
hostname of your DC is 'ad51.samges.ru' and this is what should
in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
172.16.214.151 ad51.samges.ru  ad51

> It only for precondition before join and may be deleted after?

No, it needs to be there

Rowland