[Samba] Clients can't write to group-writable files - plea for help

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 17 19:28:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 14:12:51 -0500
Josh Malone via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> >> This is probably why it works on Ubuntu, but not on Centos, sssd is
> >> probably running on the Centos machine, but isn't setup correctly.
> >>

> > sssd I don't think runs by default on Centos 6 or 7 (in my case it
> > doesn't).
>
> No - sssd is not on in my system.
>

> > OP: have you tried using winbind in nsswitch.conf on the member
> > servers with rfc2307 enabled in the smb.conf?
> >
> > It works for us in both Centos 6 and 7, no issues with UID/GID
> > mapping.
>
> No, I haven't. I'll have to try that. As I stated earlier, I resolved
> the issue my implementing a trivial username map script (return $1)
> but have never understood why I had the problem in the first place or
> how this fixes it.
>
> I'll give winbind a bit more of a look.

From my understanding you seem to have Mac and Windows clients and are
using the Samba machine as a fileserver. If the windows machines are
joined to a domain, then you will probably be better off joining the
Samba machine to the domain, this way you will not need the user map.

It might help if you could explain your setup, if it is different
from the above and a copy of your smb.conf would help as well.

Rowland