[Samba] Clients can't write to group-writable files - plea for help

Josh Malone jmalone at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 17 19:12:51 UTC 2016

On 11/17/16 2:06 PM, Alex Crow via samba wrote:

>>> My AD account objects all have uidNumber and gidNumber set (we use
>>> that for the Mac systems bound to AD). And the AD usernames match the
>>> NIS usernames. (the uid/gids match too).
>> This is probably why it works on Ubuntu, but not on Centos, sssd is
>> probably running on the Centos machine, but isn't setup correctly.
>>

> sssd I don't think runs by default on Centos 6 or 7 (in my case it doesn't).

No - sssd is not on in my system.

> OP: have you tried using winbind in nsswitch.conf on the member servers
> with rfc2307 enabled in the smb.conf?
>
> It works for us in both Centos 6 and 7, no issues with UID/GID mapping.

No, I haven't. I'll have to try that. As I stated earlier, I resolved
the issue my implementing a trivial username map script (return $1) but
have never understood why I had the problem in the first place or how
this fixes it.

I'll give winbind a bit more of a look.

> Cheers
>
> Alex

        Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
      (jmalone at nrao.edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
         434-296-0263           www.nrao.edu
	434-249-5699 (mobile)