[Samba] Need help with printer drivers

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 10 10:56:00 UTC 2016

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 17:44:36 +0800
Aaron Lewis <the.warl0ck.1989 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is generated with testparam,
>
> # Global parameters
> [global]
> server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
> server role = standalone server
> map to guest = Bad User
> obey pam restrictions = Yes
> pam password change = Yes
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
> unix password sync = Yes
> syslog = 0
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> max log size = 1000
> dns proxy = No
> usershare allow guests = Yes
> panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
> idmap config * : backend = tdb
>

> [myprinter]
> comment = Printer Drivers
> path = /var/lib/samba/printers
> valid users = work
> write list = work
> read only = No
> printable = Yes
> printer name = My Printer
>
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Rowland Penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 13:23:32 +0800
> > Aaron Lewis <the.warl0ck.1989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Rowland. I've followed the guide on that page, the following
> >> page looks good:
> >> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Point%27n%27Print_automatic_printer_driver_deployment
> >>
> >> However, when I try to add a driver with "Print Management" to the
> >> Samba server, I got an access denied error.
> >>
> >> Here's how I did it.
> >> ------------------------
> >>
> >> 1. create a user with smbpasswd, work:work
> >> 2. change myprinter configuration and add a write list
> >>
> >> [myprinter]
> >> comment = Printer Drivers
> >> path = /var/lib/samba/printers
> >> valid users = work
> >> write list = work
> >> read only = No
> >> printable = Yes
> >> printer name = My Printer
> >>
> >> 3. on windows7 client, use work:work to authenticate,
> >>     first run net use \\172.16.177.200\myprinter
> >>     now \\172.16.177.200\myprinter is accessible
> >>
> >>     Open Print Management, add 172.16.177.200 as a printer, then in
> >> Drivers, right click and select Add Driver, a dialog popsup
> >> "Failed to add driver, Access denied"
> >>

> > Can you post your full smb.conf
> >
> > Rowland
> >
> > --

Are your windows machines part of the 'WORKGROUP' workgroup ?

Does 'work' exist as a Unix user ?
Does 'work' exist as a windows user ?

Is the password for 'work' the same everywhere ?

From 'man smb.conf':

       map to guest (G)

       Bad User - Means user logins with an invalid password are
       rejected, unless the username does not exist, in which case it
       is treated as a guest login and mapped into the guest
       account.

Does 'work' have access to /var/lib/samba/printers ?

Rowland