[Samba] Need help with printer drivers

Aaron Lewis the.warl0ck.1989 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 00:59:47 UTC 2016

Are your windows machines part of the 'WORKGROUP' workgroup ?
- Yes, and the windows client is not a domain member.
  I've checked the system properties, it show WORKGROUP

Does 'work' exist as a Unix user ?
- Yes, otherwise `smbpasswd -a work` complains

Does 'work' exist as a windows user ?
- No, the windows client can be any user.
  The current logon username is Aaron.

Is the password for 'work' the same everywhere ?
- No, the work user does not have a unix password. I only set one with
smbpasswd.

Does 'work' have access to /var/lib/samba/printers ?
- Initially it does not. So I did a chmod 777 -R
/var/lib/samba/printers, but it's still access denied

Hmm, I'm not sure if the windows client is connecting with anonymous,
and there's no much log in /var/log/
Should I dig deeper in samba user authentication?

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Rowland Penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 17:44:36 +0800
> Aaron Lewis <the.warl0ck.1989 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is generated with testparam,
>>
>> # Global parameters
>> [global]
>> server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
>> server role = standalone server
>> map to guest = Bad User
>> obey pam restrictions = Yes
>> pam password change = Yes
>> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>> passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
>> *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
>> unix password sync = Yes
>> syslog = 0
>> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>> max log size = 1000
>> dns proxy = No
>> usershare allow guests = Yes
>> panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
>> idmap config * : backend = tdb
>>

>> [myprinter]
>> comment = Printer Drivers
>> path = /var/lib/samba/printers
>> valid users = work
>> write list = work
>> read only = No
>> printable = Yes
>> printer name = My Printer
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Rowland Penny via samba
>> <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>> > Can you post your full smb.conf
>> >
>> > Rowland
>> >
>> > --
>>

> Are your windows machines part of the 'WORKGROUP' workgroup ?
>
> Does 'work' exist as a Unix user ?
> Does 'work' exist as a windows user ?
>
> Is the password for 'work' the same everywhere ?
>
> From 'man smb.conf':
>
>        map to guest (G)
>
>        Bad User - Means user logins with an invalid password are
>        rejected, unless the username does not exist, in which case it
>        is treated as a guest login and mapped into the guest
>        account.
>
> Does 'work' have access to /var/lib/samba/printers ?
>
> Rowland
>
> --

Best Regards,
Aaron Lewis - PGP: 0x13714D33 - http://pgp.mit.edu/
Finger Print:   9F67 391B B770 8FF6 99DC  D92D 87F6 2602 1371 4D33