[Samba] Windows 7 login fails after server crash

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 16:44:43 UTC 2016

Upgrading domain controllers to Samba 4.4.7 seems to fix the "trust
relationship" with the Windows clients.

But it seems to have broken trust issues with some of the Samba 3.6.25
member servers.

        root at member1:~# net rpc testjoin
        Connection failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
        Join to domain 'MYDOMAIN' is not valid: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

        root at member1:~# testparm -v | grep sign
        Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
                 client signing = required
                 client ipc signing = required
                 server signing = No
        root at member1:~#

Updating smb.conf with

         client signing = auto
         client ipc signing = auto

seems to have partially resolved the issue.

        root at member1:~# net rpc testjoin
        Join to 'MYDOMAIN' is OK
        root at member1:~#

But I was still unable to access shares on the member server windows
windows.  (user authentication seems to fail.)

I reverted by samba DC's back to unpatched 3.6.25 (and restored the
/etc/samba/private and /var/samba/locks directories from the night before.)