[Samba] Windows 7 login fails after server crash

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 20:18:59 UTC 2016

This morning due a a power outage our samba servers crashed.  All looked
OK at reboot (at first) -  users  who had stayed logged in could still
access shares.

However users who tried to log back into the network got the "The trust
relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed"
message.  Removing a machine from domain and rejoining did not help.

Servers are a classic domain, samba 3.6.25 on Solaris 11 with Solaris
patch idr2408 to install  BADLOCK fixes (in order to fix compatibility
with  linux samba 4.x member servers and as well as to fix a trust issue
with a Windows 2008 AD domain.)     I had applied this patch several
weeks ago and restarted samba services but not restarted the server.
    Removing the patch  from the domain controllers and primary file
server seemed to fix the problem.

As part to patch, I also added  "server signing = No"  to smb.conf since
the new default seemed to be to enable it.

Guessing some schannel thing ?

I didn't see anything definitive in any logs.

I may compile samba 4.4.x in case samba 3.x has some other compatibility
issues I don't know about.

Appreciate any insight or suggestions.

Thanks