[Samba] Fwd: Not able to join windows 10 clients to samba 3.6.23 NT4 Style PDC

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri May 27 07:10:56 UTC 2016

On 27/05/16 07:18, Ram Prasad Bikkina wrote:
> Hi Good Morning,
>
> Thank you for everyone and supported me, I struggled a lot to resolve
> the problem. However I got a solution for joining windows 10 clients
> to Samba PDC (Samba Version 3.6.23) .
>
> I changed workgroup name is from "example.com" to "example" ( I
> removed "." from workgroup name), then i can able to join windows 10
> clients to Samba PDC without any other settings.
>
> May I know the reason why it is working without "." in workgroup name,
> Is there any specific reason?

HI, this is has nothing to do with Samba, it's a windows thing. If you
look here:

Under the heading 'NetBIOS domain names' (note this is another name for
'workgroup'), you will find this:

Names can contain a period (.). However, the name cannot start with a
period. The use of non-DNS names with periods is allowed in Microsoft
Windows NT. However, periods should not be used in Active Directory
domains. If you are upgrading a domain whose NetBIOS name contains a
period, change the name by migrating the domain to a new domain
structure. Do not use periods in new NetBIOS domain names.

This problem has come up before, it may be that Microsoft has tightened
up on the use of the dot '.' with windows 10.

Rowland