[Samba] Samba 4.1 / Upgrading clients from Win8.1 to Win10 / Roaming Profiles

phil_lists at pvth.de phil_lists at pvth.de
Thu May 26 19:49:45 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm currently using Samba 4.1.17 (SerNet) with Debian Wheezy as a single
AD controller, upgrade to 4.1.22 will be done. Clients are Windows 8.1
Pro with roaming profiles. All is working fine, but now I'd like to
upgrade the clients to Windows 10 Pro.

Has anyone any experience with upgrading from 8.1 to 10 using Samba as
AD controller?
I especially wonder if the (roaming!) user profiles are still usable
after the upgrade, i. e. are migrated automatically -- or if all users
will have empty profiles after the upgrade forcing me to rebuild them
manually. The point is that Win10 calls them .V5 instead of .V2. I'm
still not sure how this is handled by a Windows server, Google is not
very helpful in this matter.
Are there any (other) known issues?

Thanks & regards
Philipp