[Samba] Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain '<EXAMPLE.COM>' over rpc: The object name is not found.

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 26 10:55:23 UTC 2016

On 26/05/16 11:39, Nico Speelman wrote:
>> You say 'My domain controller and client are running Debian testing with
>> samba 4.4.3'
>> This sort of suggests you only have one DC, yet you have posted two DC
>> smb.conf files, can we sort this out before going further. Do you have
>> two DCs and are trying to join a client, or do you only have one DC and
>> are trying to join another DC?
>> Rowland
> Excuse me. I meant to say domain controllers. The client smb.conf is posted below:
> [global]
>          security = ADS
>          workgroup = <EXAMPLE>
>          realm = <example.com>
>          log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>          kerberos method = secrets and keytab
>          client signing = yes
>          client use spnego = yes

OK, then it sounds like a dns problem, can you post the ipaddresses of
the DCs, the resolv.conf files from the DCs. You seem to be using Bind9,
can you post the conf files for this.

Can you also post the resolv.conf file and /etc/hosts from the client

You also seem to have a lot of cruft in the ZUES smb.conf, one line in
particular shouldn't be there:

         unix password sync = Yes

You cannot have users in /etc/passwd and AD, so how can you sync their
passwords ??

Rowland