[Samba] Ransomware?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri May 20 16:10:52 UTC 2016

I think you should assume that one of your end users will eventually
fall for ransomware.   And that the user will have access to  most of
your network shares.

This makes backups more critical than ever.

For zfs snapshots, the end user CAN access their snapshots via samba
shares, so replication to a 2nd machine is probably essential.

The rest of it is defense in depth -  desktop antivirus, e-mail
gateways, user education, restrict user access to only what is needed ...