[Samba] Ransomware?

David Bear dwbear75 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 03:33:34 UTC 2016

I'm jumping in here late. There's been a lot of good suggestions already.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is rsnapshot. The solution to ransomware
like this is a good solid backup regimen and rsnapshot can be part of that.
rsnapshot is opensource and based on rsync .. it requires a unix filesystem
that supports hardlinks. It works on making a complete snapshot of the file
system every 'n' periods. you specify who frequently. The cool think about
rsnapshot is that while every snapshot is a full backup, each snapshot only
has the file deltas. So snapshots don't consume huge amounts of space.

You can likely also get statistics on how many files changed between each
snapshot. If you ever notice a larger than normal number of deltas you can
look further to see if something is making mass changes of things. If you
see more the X number of deltas, it could sent an alert.

On the commercial software side of things, services like Crashplan and
Carbonite and other provide point in time restores.

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 10:42 PM, ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there anything in Samba that will help protect
> against ransomware?
>
> -T
>

> --

David Bear