[Samba] linux server a memeber of AD (with use of realm) - and samba?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu May 19 17:06:56 UTC 2016

On 19/05/16 17:37, lejeczek wrote:

> On 19/05/16 16:49, Rowland penny wrote:
>> On 19/05/16 15:50, lejeczek wrote:
>>> fellow users
>>>
>>> I'd like to ask is it possible, and if yes what's the correct way to
>>> configure, to have local samba (where box has joined AD with realm)
>>> use that memebership in a way to have users from AD user catalog.
>>> I guess what I'm thinking is - how do I get those AD users that
>>> linux now being a member sees, to samba and without windbinding &
>>> whole full AD config? Kind of a: AD<=linux.SSSD=>linux.samba <= AD
>>> users access samba
>>>
>>> go easy on me, I've never done samba+AD
>>> many thanks,
>>> L.
>>>

>> If you want to use Linux + Samba + sssd with an AD domain, you are
>> asking in the wrong place, try the sssd users mailing list.
>>
>> If however you want to use Samba with an AD domain, see here:
>>
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_Samba_as_an_AD_Domain_Member
>>
>> Rowland
> thanks Rowland
> I'll do, check with sssd poeple,
> last one - is it possible to join AD samba's way while one has only
> admin/management control over an OU in AD domain and has NO Domain
> Admin access?
> I see realm does it but I wonder if Samba too can do it.

Anything is possible I suppose, but why ?
If by 'Domain Admin' you mean 'Administrator', you can replace this
user, but somebody is going to have to be able to do what
'Administrator' does.

How does realm (I think you mean realmd) do this, can you post a link to
something that describes how to.

Rowland