[Samba] Fwd: Not able to join windows 10 clients to samba 3.6.23 NT4 Style PDC

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed May 18 14:00:45 UTC 2016

Just to verify, did you configure the Win 10 machine as a WINS client
?    The PDC will not necessarily be the master browser (showing what
resources are available on the network) -  browser elections are
weighted towards machines with newer OS's.    You can adjust the "os
level" parameter in smb.conf to bias the election in favor of the PDC
but if WINS is being used none of this should really matter.

Does the machine account exist in samba ?   You may need to precreate it
with "smbpasswd -a -m machinename"   and then verify that the
"machinename$" account was created.  I have an LDAP backend.   The unix
machine accounts exist.  When samba creates a samba machine account
(either when I use smbpasswd or a computer joins the domain) , samba
updates/adds ldap attributes to the machine account.        All the Win
10 machines I have added "recycled"  preexisting Windows 7 machine
accounts.      With some versions of samba with an ldap backend I had to
manually precreate the samba account and then verify the ldap attributes
were set correctly.

Can you copy and paste the results of the net join command (sanitized of
course to remove any company info.)

What OS is the PDC ?  (mine is solaris 11.)   Is this from package or
precompiled?    Any recent backported patches to fix badblock
vulnerability?

On the windows machines, does "ipconfig /all" show any ipv6 DNS servers ?

Some of the "testparm -v" output from my PDC (mostly I disabled lanman
for security and limited SMB versions to CORE and NT1 for file sharing
issues)

Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC
         interfaces =
         bind interfaces only = No