[Samba] Fwd: Not able to join windows 10 clients to samba 3.6.23 NT4 Style PDC

David Whitney soonerdew at gmail.com
Wed May 18 14:58:09 UTC 2016

A couple of other issues to keep in mind...

Aside from the fact that the errors suggest your W10 box is trying to join
an AD domain, W10 also defaults to a protocol of SMB 3.3 which Samba 3.x
does not support. If you resolve the issue wherein W10 thinks it is joining
an AD domain, there's a strong possibility (if not certainty) you will then
see errors in the log of the W10 box indicating Windows could not log onto
the domain because it could not find a netlogon server. That, in turn,
would be because it could not negotiate a sufficiently secure communication
with the server.

When I encountered this problem, the only solution I found was to disable
SMB 3.3 on the W10 box as noted in
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2696547. I re-enabled it when the
version of Samba in the 4.x series that supported SMB 3.3 was released, and
my W10 box has been a content member of my old-style domain since.

Regards,
David