[Samba] Changing Samba PDC to a different machine (and netbios name)

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon May 16 12:17:37 UTC 2016

On 16/05/16 12:16, Thomas Raschbacher wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Is it possible/feasible to change the samba PDC name to a different
> machine with a new netbios name?

Yes, but I think you mean 'Can I migrate a PDC domain to an AD domain' ,
if so, see here:

  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_domain_to_a_Samba_AD_domain_%28classic_upgrade%29

> the reason for this is, that I want to do the update NT4 Domain -> ADC
> and since it's recommended to not have PDC and file server on the same
> machine I was going to seperate them. For that I'd need to have a
> different server act as PDC.

Again, I think you mean 'I want a different server to act as the DC'.
PDC == NT4-style domain controller, DC == Active Directory Domain Controller

> Also another part of the question is: is it easier to do this with the
> NT4 domain still, or in the process of upgrading NT4->PDC, or afterwards?

As the page I linked to says, you need to test this first and it will be
done during the upgrade/migration.

Rowland