[Samba] FreeBSD: net/samba43's NSUPDATE

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 4 19:28:01 UTC 2016

On 04/05/16 20:06, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> On 05/04/16 20:23, Rowland penny wrote:
>
> (I understand this might be specific to FreeBSD, but I asked on its
> mailing list and got no answer...)
>

>>> Then why is it an option *in alternative* to BIND?
>>
>> What do you mean '*in alternative*' ??
>
> I mean when I build Samba port, I can choose NSUPDATE *or* BIND99 *or*
> BIN910 (where "or" means "exclusive or", I can choose at most one).
>
> Those options are described as:
> BIND99 = Use bind99 as AD DC DNS server frontend
> BIND910 = Use bind910 as AD DC DNS server frontend

OK, these are just what version of bind to use.

> NSUPDATE = Use samba NSUPDATE utility for AD DC

I think this means use the internal SAMBA DNS server and install
nsupdate (which on Devuan, means install dnsutils)

> Notice this options only serve the purpose of tracking dependencies
> between packages; they do not mess with the way Samba is compiled or
> configured.

Well it wouldn't, you don't choose the DNS server until you provision
the domain.

> Choosing NSUPDATE brings in another port/package, named samba-nsupdate
> and described as "nsupdate utility with GSS-TSIG support", which
> installs "/usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate".

Is this a BSD thing ? I have heard of the python script 'samba-dnsupdate'.

> It's man pages starts with:
>> samba-nsupdate is used to submit Dynamic DNS Update requests as defined
>>        in RFC 2136 to a name server. This allows resource records to
>> be added
>>        or removed from a zone without manually editing the zone file.
>> A single
>>        update request can contain requests to add or remove more than
>> one
>>        resource record.
>

> There's also another option, DNSUPDATE, which is independent of the
> above mentioned three.
> It's described as "Dynamic DNS update (require ADS)" and control
> whether --with-dnsupdate or --without-dnsupdate is used in the
> configuring phase.
>
> Perhaps you are talking about this one?

No, If you are running as an AD DC, you need this, hence 'yes' is the
default setting for this configure option.

Rowland