[Samba] FreeBSD: net/samba43's NSUPDATE

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Wed May 4 18:07:53 UTC 2016

On 05/03/16 22:55, Rowland penny wrote:

> Don't use freebsd, but Samba 4, when run as an AD DC, uses nsupdate to
> update a computers DNS records in AD.

First off, thanks for answering.

Alas, I don't really understand what you mean...

Is it used to dynamically add A records for clients that connect to the AD?

>> Is it intended to work with BIND (like the other two in that group)?
>
> Well it does work with Bind9, but it also works with the internal Samba
> DNS server.

Then why is it an option *in alternative* to BIND?

>> Any reference to a tutorial or any other documentation on how to use it?
>
> Normally you do not run nsupdate directly, but you could try browsing
> the Samba wiki:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

I did: I think I gave a quick read to almost the whole wiki, but didn't
find anything pertinent.
If I'm wrong or blind, then please forgive me and possibly point me to
the right section.

What I'm trying to understand is:
_ we can have internal DNS *or* BIND+DLZ: is NSUPDATE a third
independent alternative?
_ if not, why is it an option with internal DNS? What happens without it?

  bye & Thanks
	av.