[Samba] FreeBSD: net/samba43's NSUPDATE

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 3 20:55:49 UTC 2016

On 03/05/16 14:15, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Forgive me, but I'm quite new to AD and I've been searching the web
> for a couple of days, but found nothing relevant...
>
> What's exaclty the NSUPDATE option of this port?

Don't use freebsd, but Samba 4, when run as an AD DC, uses nsupdate to
update a computers DNS records in AD.

> Is it intended to work with BIND (like the other two in that group)?

Well it does work with Bind9, but it also works with the internal Samba
DNS server.

> What are its requirements?

Obviously, a Samba 4 AD DC.

> Any reference to a tutorial or any other documentation on how to use it?

Normally you do not run nsupdate directly, but you could try browsing
the Samba wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Rowland