[Samba] Add domain defauts to WORKGROUP if not specified

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 17:03:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

You don't tell us too much about your environment...

In AD mode workgroup = <string> refers to short domain name.
In AD mode a user can be represented using two forms:

If you are running samba in AD mode, as says the man page of smb.conf:
       workgroup (G)

           This controls what workgroup your server will appear to be in
when queried by clients. *Note that this parameter also controls the Domain
name used with the security = domain setting.*

           Default: workgroup = WORKGROUP

           Example: workgroup = MYGROUP

It seems in AD mode workgroup is not optional.

Regarding other consequences, MS Windows uses a lot domain short name, so...